Here in the summer months sheep were grazed on the hills and a small settlement on the top of the hill could keep watch for raiders and drive the sheep into the confines and safety of the stockade when necessary.
Up to this time most of the hills were an oak forest and just glades were used for grazing animals.
In 2009 after a ten year ESA(Environmentally Sensitive Area) scheme came to an end another new scheme began.
In other words the hills look like they do because of hundreds of years of grazing.
By 1881 part of the factory was used for ginger beer and soda water manufacture and another part as a tea-room.
By this time many people had new-found wealth and increased leisure and Church Stretton was developing as a spa town known as "Little Switzerland".
There is at present (2006) a total of 3,350 sheep (1.5 ewes per hectare) grazing on the hill (dropping to about half this number in winter).
A desired stocking level of less than 1 ewe per acre has recently been calculated using current information on the vegetation cover and age structure of heath land vegetation.
Caer Caradoc hill (major stronghold of The Cornovii tribe) carries the legend of being another hillfort on which the last British King Caractacus made his last stand against the Romans before being captured and taken off to Rome.